With the addition of a few select ingredients, my homemade salsa went from “pretty good” to “uh huh!!!” Because this makes a lot (about a quart) and because homemade, preservative free, salsa tends to go bad quickly (about a week or so), I will use it on many things – on top of burritos, in salad, in tofu scramble, with black beans and vegan cheese on baked potatoes – use your imagination!
- ½ cup red onions, roughly chopped
- 3 – 4 green onions, tops removed and roughly chopped
- 1 – 2 Jalapenos, seeded and roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 – 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted chopped tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Place first 5 ingredients (through garlic) in food processor, and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add tomatoes and seasonings, and pulse until chopped, but tomatoes are still fairly chunky.
- Adjust seasonings as necessary.