Using uncooked chickpeas may sound a little weird, but you’ll just have to trust me that this is what gives you the authentic falafel texture. I choose to pan fry patties in just a little oil, but you can shape them into balls and deep fry if you really want.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water for 12 to 24 hours
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Olive oil for deep frying
- Drain chickpeas and transfer to a food processor.
- Add remain ingredients (except oil for frying) and process until finely and evenly ground.
- Shape into 12 patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the falafel patties until golden brown, flipping after 3 to 5 minutes. Add more oil as needed.
This can be served in sandwiches or salads, with a nice light dressing.