This week it’s all about fun, and is there a more fun food than cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles? This goes together quite easily and is the perfect birthday surprise for the vegan in your life!
- ½ cup frozen strawberries with no added sugar, thawed
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup sunflower oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles (more for topping)
- ½ cup vegan stick butter, softened
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 – 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Splash non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. This makes 12 standard size cupcakes, so line muffin tins accordingly.
- Blend the strawberries and milk together in a blender until no chunks remain. A high-speed blender works best for this.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, combine strawberry mixture with oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add sugar and mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and gradually add to wet ingredients. The texture should be about that of a pancake batter. If you need to add more flower to get there, do so a tablespoon at a time.
- Gently fold in the 1/3 cup sprinkles using a spatula.
- Fill cups about ¾ full and bake 20 – 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on wire rack completely before frosting.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until you have a thick frosting. Add a splash of milk if it gets to think and dry.
- Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles. Store any leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator or freeze for later. Bask in the happiness!