Cheese seems to be the hardest thing for people to give up and there is good reason for that due to its addictive nature. But while it may be difficult to wean yourself off of milk products (pun intended), you don’t have to miss the taste. Here’s my recipe for nachos that’s quick, easy, nutritious and yummy – lactose intolerant people, rejoice!
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ medium Onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Salt
- Dash Cayenne Pepper
- 1 can Pinto or Black Beans, drained & rinsed (save the liquid)
- 1 medium Onion, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper, from jar & drained
- 3 tbsp Toasted Cashews
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 cup Nutritional Yeast
- ½ tsp Salt
Toppings (any or all!)
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Green Onions
- Sliced Black Olives
- Deli Sliced Jalapeno Peppers
- Fresh Corn
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Saute onion in olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue sautéing until fragrant, about 30 more seconds.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, stirring until combined. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add drained beans, smashing with a wooden spoon or potato masher, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the reserved liquid as you go, to achieve the right consistency.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender in order given and puree until smooth and creamy. Add up to ½ cup of water, a tablespoon at a time, if necessary. (Hint: if you are using a Ninja or similar blender, reverse the ingredient).
Build Your Nachos
- Place your base of tortilla chips or don’t. I find it easier to serve the chips separately and use the toppings as a dip.
- Layer the refried beans, cheez sauce and any toppings.
- Dig in!