This refreshing salad can serve as a main course or makes a perfect pot luck dish to bring to your next picnic. Include it on the menu for your home retreat! It’s filling, but not too heavy and full of protein from the beans and brown rice. You can also substitute other grains for the rice, such as quinoa or millet.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 large mango, diced (about 1 heaping cup diced mango)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup diced cilantro
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or other vegan sweetner
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pepitas and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Toss all salad ingredients together, except avocado
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour dressing all over the quinoa salad and toss to combine. Gently toss in avocado. Sprinkle with garnishes.
- Serve cold.